Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Neo baroque ideas lurk in the shadows





Sometimes one has to learn all the rules in order to break them.  I have always had an interest in the way contrast creates drama.  But ever since the "f64 school" (Ansel Adams. Edward Weston etc) overthrew the romantic soft focus photographers in the early part of the last century, there have been these rules about holding detail in the highlights and shadows.  It is like a religion.  It is inviolate.

It is mostly a western idea.  Japanese art photographers have never paid much attention to the "rule" and kids with cell phones don't know and don't care.  I say Bravo! to that.

We can become slaves to an idea that really is past its time.

The images above break the rule of holding detail in highlights and shadows.  I like the effect.  I intend to pursue it further.  It is partly what I have in mind with the idea of neo baroque art.

No comments:

Search This Blog